Majority locals support Deep South peace talks: survey

April 02, 2013
Reset Text smaller larger

BANGKOK, Thailand – Two-thirds of the residents in the three southern provinces support peace talks between the government and insurgent groups, Deep South Watch (DSW) said Sunday (March 31st).

Of the 1,800 people surveyed in Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and certain districts of Songkhla, 67% said they supported the first formal peace talks, held March 28th in Kuala Lumpur. DSW director Srisompob Jitpiromsri said the other 33% disagreed with the idea of security officials negotiating with insurgents, according to The Bangkok Post.

"The government and the Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre will need to create understanding and reveal information relating to the peace dialogue more, so that people can understand this process," Srisompob said, according to The Post.

Srisompob added that southerners wanted a bilateral ceasefire, troop withdrawal, development projects and amendment or abolishment of the Emergency Decree.

Add A Comment (Comments Policy)* denotes required field


Are extremist groups distorting the true meaning of jihad to recruit fighters for the Syrian civil war?

Photo Essay

Mariyah Nibosu, whose husband was shot dead in 2009 by unknown gunmen, stands outside her home in September 2013 in the state-run 'widows' village' of Rotan Batu, 20km from Narathiwat.

As Thailand's Deep South insurgency drags on, families suffer, persevere