JAKARTA, Indonesia – Police announced Tuesday (September 17th) they have identified 20 suspects believed to be involved in a clash last week that left a fisherman dead in Jember, East Java, local media reported.
"There are ten suspects related to the attack on the Darus Sholihin boarding school," East Java police spokesman Awi Setiyono told The Jakarta Globe. "We have also decided on seven suspects in relation to the murder of Eko (Mardi Santoso), and there are three people who are suspects for having carried weapons to Eko's funeral."
The confrontation began September 11th following a dispute over a parade by the local Islamic boarding school in Puger Kulon village to commemorate Indonesian independence. The clash pitted followers of two Jember religious leaders – Ali al-Habsyi and Muhdor al-Hamid. Long-standing tensions between the two groups boiled over last week when the permit for the planned parade was pulled at the last minute.
A team of local police in Jember and regional police in East Java staged a joint operation in Puger district Monday aimed at restoring security. "The goal is also to seize any explosive devices, sharp weapons and firearms," head of Resort Operations in Jember, Pauji Imam, told Tempo.