Philippines: Bomb-making materials seized from outlawed group

February 10, 2012
Reset Text smaller larger

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines -- Bomb-making materials were seized by Philippines officials after a brief firefight Wednesday (February 8th) with rebels, allegedly tied to the Abu Sayyaf terror group, Zamboanga Task Force Commander Colonel Buenaventura Pascual said, according to MindaNews.

Police were sent to Sacol Island, east of the port city of Zamboanga, to arrest the Pingri group, an Abu Sayyaf local conduit. They use the island as a staging point for kidnapping and other crimes.

The group left behind a toolbox filled with bomb-making materials before escaping from police through a mangrove.

The Abu Sayyaf group is reportedly holding two Malaysians, one Japanese, one Indian, one Australian, and three Filipinos hostage in the Philippines, reported the Mindanao Examiner.

Two European wildlife photographers were also allegedly kidnapped last week by the group.

Add A Comment (Comments Policy)* denotes required field

Poll

Are extremist groups distorting the true meaning of jihad to recruit fighters for the Syrian civil war?

View Results

Photo Essay

Mariyah Nibosu, whose husband was shot dead in 2009 by unknown gunmen, stands outside her home in September 2013 in the state-run 'widows' village' of Rotan Batu, 20km from Narathiwat. "Women suffer a lot here," she said. "But we are strong. We have to feed our children by ourselves. We have to survive." [Christophe Archambault/AFP]

As Thailand's Deep South insurgency drags on, families suffer, persevere